Thursday, October 3, 2013

18-Year-Old Amputee Tells His Story Of Misery - Please Read

18-Year-Old Amputee Tells His Story Of Misery

The New Year’s eve is a magical time when we make wishes, pledges, and set goals for the next year. There is hope in people’s eyes, good mood is in the air. The last day of the year 2010, however, ended tragically for the then-15-year-old Agbor Gabriel Obe. A bomb detonated inside Abacha Barracks in Abuja on December 31, 2010.

Below, Agbor tells his story.......

“My name is Agbor Gabriel Obe. I am from Benue State,” he begins, “On 31 December, 2010, my senior brother sent me on errand to Abacha Barracks. As I was about to deliver the message, the thing [explosion] happened. I was taken to Asokoro General Hospital.”
The young man recalls losing consciousness at the time of the accident, and coming round in a hospital. His damaged leg was later amputated.
After spending four and a half months in the hospital, Agbor was included in the list of victims who needed further treatment abroad. Ten months after the ill-fated blast, on October 30, 2011, he was sent toSouth Africa, accompanied by one doctor. A surgery on his leg was performed there, and he returned home with a prosthesis.
Agbor says he was sent to South Africa without financial allowance for seven basic needs, including feeding.
“We were told that we would be given allowance to take care of feeding and other sundry needs. But the doctor who accompanied us did not give me any allowance. So I had to resort to begging in South Africa, while in hospital, to be able to feed,” the young man says. “That was how I came in contact with a kind-hearted Nigerian army officer, who gave me some money to take care of my feeding.”
He returned to Nigeria on December 1, 2011.
“I returned to Nigeria in the company of Dr Ahmed, but he dumped me at the airport, telling me to find myway home. With no money on me, I had to start begging again to get out of the airport and find my way home.”
Now, his artificial leg that was made for him in South Africa troubles him; his efforts, however, to get additional medical help proved to be futile.
“The artificial leg is now torn and rubs against my bone, when I walk with it. It is very painful when that happens.
“I spoke to Dr Ahmed, his colleague, and Dr Ejembi, a Benue man, but they said, ‘You should even thank God that they gave you the artificial leg, instead of complaining.’ I told them that the artificial leg has problems. My bone is rubbing against the prosthesis.
“I reminded them of what the South African hospital authorities said, that I should change the artificial leg every two years. Even if they didn’t give me the artificial leg, I don’t care because, right now, I am feeling serious pains and I would like treatment that can stop the pains.”
The young man says when he came for help to Asokoro General Hospital for treatment to ease the pains on his amputated leg, the hospital demanded payment.
“I went there for treatment, they told me to pay money, and I told them that I didn’t have money. They didn’t treat me,” Agbor lamented.
The young man pleaded the Government to intervene so that now, as an 18-year-old, he could still make something out of his life, even though his aspiration has been altered from its original course by the bomb blast.

Share on :

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

 
© Copyright Latest News From Around The World 2013 - Some rights reserved | Powered by Blogger.com .
Template Design by Eronzi | Published by CareerNigerians